Sunday 21 August 2011

Merdeka! Merdeka! Merdeka!

                             


}}
Our Jalur Gemilang
 Yes, at the stroke of midnight the nation enters it's 54th year and simultaneously too Muslims in Malaysia and the rest of the world celebrate Eid Mubarak or Aidil Fitri. Throughout my entire life this is the first coincidence  since we achieved independence in 1957. We have experienced Kongsi Raya and now here we are celebration  a two in one again just like Kongsi Raya if not much better because the indigenous people of Malaysia is celebrating it too an not only confined to the major races.

I think this phenomena about celebration two in one, only Malaysia can experience the extraordinary. Why this can be so is because we are a multi racial country where others can't match up to our credentials. So Hari Raya can fall on same day as celebration by the other races. Isn't that something we need to be proud off.

On this day all Malaysian should show their patriotism by flying the  "Jalur Gemilang" at home. However some see this in a different light that gives rise to  presumptions. Are they not patriotic? This can be a sensitive question. I always advocated to the saying that 'action speaks louder than words'.So in a situation like this let it remain as it is. Only with time shall a person's patriotism and love for the country will be put to test.

As a former men in blue I am always proud first to be a Malaysian, next as  a policeman. Strangely after my schooling I was a loafer of course. The family was not financially strong and so I had to resort to some odd jobs just to try stand on my own two feet. I applied for a number of jobs but was turned down probably the   Almighty destined me to be a cop.

At times during my talk sessions with the various Resident's Association I will first emphasised about my patriotism. First being a Malaysian, secondly being a policeman of course. But not everyone are alike but I realised in the long run that I was destined by the Almighty to be policeman to serve the country.However like in all other departments there are people whose mere existence is basically to "fill up the blanks" that's about all. This is more true in the forces.

Patriotism, oh sure! I have done my part in whatever circumstance what about you? On two occasions I led my men and placed my life as well as theirs on the line to hunt down criminals for the sake of peace and public order. In one of the encounters I cheated death but sadly my Corporal went down. I know how it feels to have a comrade fighting for his life in your arms. Since then  every second day of Hari Raya this sad drama creeps into my conscious. For my Allahyarham Corporal Kamaruzaman I pray Allah swt bless his soul.

At that time I felt like the whole world did not bother after all, that was the risks we have to face, so be it. Even after my role was over I still stand proud knowing that I have done by part for "Kerana Mu Malaysia" and will continue to do it whenever required. There are other occasions that I need not mention.

So what can be more patriotic? So just fly the flag as a simple gesture to show our patriotism but if you are hardcore then keep it flying all year round. But please ensure that the flag does not become a "kain buruk".

On this  I recollect a disgraceful incident in Sept 2005 on my last visit to Singapore for our annual police veteran football series with the Republic Of Singapore Police. I insisted my police guide, Mr Mohd Noor, from the Singapore Police to take me on a simple tour and we stopped at  Jalan Ampas where most    P.Ramlee movies were shot and the FMS Railway station at Tanjung Pagar.

I stood with pride at this historical icon, the Federated Malay States Railway station on a foreign soil. But suddenly a couple of things  changed my mood. The Jalur Gemilang that hoisted side by side with the Singapore national flag and the KTM flag all looked like "kain buruk". 

How can this be? My visit to the station was in Sept 2005 and  our Merdeka Day was just over, why on earth did they not change or at least throw the flags into the washing machine that simple? The old clock hanging at the railway station too was not functioning as well.Relying on the information from my guide,the clock has been in that situation for a long time. Are those working in Tanjung Pagar railway station from the St Nicholas home? They can show a little patriotism and responsibility can't they?
So on this Merdeka Day we need to change and be accountable on all matters under our control. I know situations like my experience in Tanjung Pagar happened here too. On 9 Jul as scheduled I was to return to my hometown Penang and took the sardine packed commuter to the KTM KL station only to be caught in the mob for the Bersih 2.0.I knew the several roads were closed but I have not the slight idea that there were restrictions placed on buses entering the city. I know not that the bus operator's office was also closed and  they were temporary operating from the new terminal at Bandar Tasik Permaisuri.

I pushed my way out from the mob only to discover that food was also hard to find that morning. I proceeded on foot to Pudu Raya under the care full scrutiny of the men in blue. As I  was carrying a bag and wearing the skull cap it obviously gave the cops the right impression that they should have. I of course subject myself to their spot checks without questions but never at any time revealed my past role. Why should I, after it is "game over" for people like me.

No buses  were able to come in or out of Puduraya too, so I proceeded to take the LRT to Bandar Tasik Selatan bus terminal. Unfortunately my tank was about to be full and obviously had to go to ease myself.I headed to the gents only to find it locked and a notice clearly indicated "rosak".

Upon my inquiry with the Auxiliary Police on duty I was shocked from the answer given. Apparently the toilet was out of order a long time ago before 9  Jul 2011 and no  efforts made to straightened things out right away. Are we not ashamed of such mentality.What can I say, as I got no choice but forced to  distract my mind from my predicament or else I would have 'peed' in my pants.

Now on patriotism again, you can follow my previous blog on my meaningful experience attending the Indonesian Independence day. The level of patriotisn exhibited on that particular day is really something. Their celebrations were more solemn,full of protocol and more meaningful.

Year in year out we  place more emphasis on entertainment. Probably  someone with innovation in the government sector can introduce something more meaningful especially for the 30 August event. We know the night of entertainment also the dark side of our youths and many unpleasant incidents goes unreported.

I remember a directive from the government urging  the various religions  to conduct special prayers on this day. If ever he event at dataran Merdeka  need to be held it howefer need a revamp and focus on patriotism and with a more  meaningful atmosphere and protocol put in place.





Merdeka! Merdeka! Merdeka

Probably a repeat of the same scenario  undertaken by the late YAM Tuanku Abdul Rahman on the night of 30 August 1957 be emulated. His speech for instance can be read year in year out because people must be constantly reminded about the sacrifices and the spirit of  independence.

Of course there is no need to bring down the Union Jack on that night as it will cause unnecessary embarassement. The ceremony too need not be too elaborate but should have some significance with the spirit of 31 August 1957. The Merdeka parade is undoubtly colourful and should proceed with probably some addition with a patriotic flavour.

Reflecting on my Indonesian experience during their independence day ceremony, I tend to wonder where was the original flag that was flown at the Selangor Club Padang 54 years ago, and the  Jalur Gemilang raised on 16 Sept 1963 kept? Probably in our muzeum? We can't ask the British either.

This is the reason why I have always place emphasis on the need to always remember history. By the way, our Jalur Gemilang was designed by Mr. Mohamed Hamzah a young engineer from  Johor employed by the Public Works Department. He passed away before his 75th birthday on 13 February 1993 in Jalan Stulang Baru, Kampung Melayu Majidee. Not many realised that it was one off us and not any "Mat Salleh" that designed it.



Our pride on the road
There is a statute that regulates the use of the national flag and anthem  when it should be use and respected. This is hard to enforce I can say. Any act which appears to belittle the National Anthem and flag in the eyes of the public, is considered as not respecting the National Anthem and flag.

Police are empowered to arrest without warrant anybody found to be disrespectful towards the National Anthem or flag. As said it is hard to enforce and  we are gradually losing the spirit of respecting our own flag and anthem. Since we ourselves don't bother what do we expect form the foreigners don't too.Actually they should being guests in this country they should as the saying goes 'when in Rome do as the Romans do'.Like wise we too should respect the flag and anthem of a foreign country and in reciprocate we get their respect.

This is rampant during sports events. Our own youths should show some form of patriotism but this is sadly absent. Only through the rigid enforcement of the law that can  see a change in this attitude.A meagre RM100 fine means nothing these days and probably needed to be enhanced. Some arrests can be made as a warning and lessons to those  who defy this national requirement. Sadly, Jalur Gemilang too can be seen lying on  roads. I remember my training told me that the flag should not be allowed to dip the ground. But this was not observed strictly even at times by men in uniform.

Concerning a situation like during a football game it is not easy task to book an offender. I remember an experience on way to office and passed Puchong Perdana I noticed the area many motorists moving without helmet a problem those days. I noticed a lady with 3 passengers on a motorcycle and on top of that no helmets too. Well as she stopped to and was an easy target for me.

I approached and as usual, demanded her IC and driving license. To my surprise she got the former but not the latter. Spontaneously I directed my driver to issue her a ticket with the appropriate offences. At this juncture I was once questioned on my action as to why she was stopped when their are many more around but nothing was done.

My reply to her was also spontaneous as well I inquiring that if she goes fishing can she possibly catch all the fishes in the sea and with that it wrapped up my case. 

On the national anthem and the national flag again I remember an incident during my service days. I and a friend visited Betong in south Thailand amidst a major joint operations going on with Thai army to flush the communist insurgents. Later  in the evening me and my friend headed for a movie.

Suddenly the Thai national flag was shown and both of us sat as normal  not knowing what it was all about.Immediately I felt a tug and a pull at my collar from the patron behind demanding us to stand.I did exactly that and it remained a lesson since. A similar move was done in Malaysia but later abandoned which indeed was a right move.

So for this Merdeka let us show some form of patriotism and most important for me is to work towards national integrity and do all things possible for a progressive, peaceful and strong Malaysia.

              Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Fitri Maaf Zahir Batin.
     Selamat Menyambut Hari Kemerdekaan Yang ke 54

No comments: