Wednesday 3 August 2011

My "Lang Cha" friend




Ramalingam @ Rama
 While  on a leisure stroll in Georgetown trying to pass the time  I  bumped into Mr Ramalingam @ Rama my long lost good old friend. Rama is  still the same tricycle peddler I have known.He has been using  his pedal power for  a living the last 41 years. During my service in Penang I frequently met him at Penang Road each time me and my team went for our usual 'soup'.However contact was lost when I left Penang on transfer to the federal city.

Rama, though only a tricycle man, is a gregarious man and survived mainly from taking tourists around Georgetown. The  'lang cha' in the local dialect  is the only valuable asset that he owns and where he lays his hat was his home. Despite this hardship, Rama, a bachelor, lead a happy life and ensures his clients are happy too. Though not highly educated he has  more or less a good command of English probably better than some my officers who served under me  before. This is a clear indication of the success of the previous education system.After years on the job, he too has a good knowledge  of the background and the history of the interesting places around Georgetown.

Rama regarded his 'lang cha' as a very close companion.The reason is obvious that without this three wheeled sedan chair carriage, it will spell disaster for this senior citizen. This is the humble profession that he has known all these years and what more important he enjoys being an 'abang beca' in Georgetown.  At 61  this stout man peddles  daily  around the city hoping to pick clients. Except for the 'pouch' at the waist, overall he enjoys good health. Undoubtedly he must have met more people, local as well as foreigners, than most of us.

Earning an honest living has kept him in high spirits.Whereas some people earning high wages are drowned with problems and stress. How long will this go on? The answer from him, he leaves this to the Almighty.That's simple and no arguement on this either.Next time you plan a holiday in Penang let Rama add some spice to your holiday.He can  take you and your family  on a tour of this heritage town in his simple 'lang cha'. Communication is no problem as he carries a hand phone and can be contacted at 016-4074926.  
 
To my old friend Rama,I wish you well and go on ahead and do what you like best and be happy. Keep your clients satisfied and may health be with you always.

Romboh Nandri



No comments: